The Nigerian Government, has promised to ensure accountability, transparency and meticulous use of the $18 Million Canada humanitarian pledge. The Nigeria’s Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr. Betta Edu. Made this known yesterday.

According to the High Commissioner of the government of Canada, Jamie Christoff, he highlighted that the financial support would be specifically earmarked for assisting disadvantaged women and young girls throughout Nigeria. He underscore the fact that, the Canadian government  pledges to support Nigeria with $18 million to address the different humanitarian responses bedeviling the nation and to tackle poverty.

The Canadian Ambassador, who lauded and express  confidence in the President determined efforts to alleviate poverty and  address humanitarian crises  in Nigeria. He noted that “I am here with my team to express our support for the President’s mandate to alleviate poverty and address humanitarian crises in Nigeria through your ministry,”

According to the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre, the number of displaced persons at 3.6million as of 2022.Recall that, Nigeria is battling various humanitarian crises and high poverty prevalence rates across the country primarily due to insecurity and recent natural disasters.

To address this humanitarian crisis, the federal government through the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs approved the establishment of a $5 billion annual humanitarian and poverty alleviation trust fund. The Minister stated that the federal government will provide 30% of the fund, while the private sector and donor agencies will contribute the remaining 70%.

The Minister for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr. Betta Edu, expressed gratitude for the visit and affirmed her commitment to a collaborative working relationship with the High Commissioner. Dr. Edu underscored President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s dedication to significantly tackling poverty and humanitarian responses in Nigeria by 2030, aligning with the SDG target.

She reassured the High Commissioner that the Humanitarian and Poverty Alleviation Trust Fund would be managed transparently to address emergency humanitarian responses and poverty-related issues in Nigeria. The Minister called for a re-examination of contributions to Nigeria by all humanitarian partners, emphasizing the necessity for sustainable solutions to the country’s challenges.

Tobi Reuben Adetunji
Tobi Reuben Adetunji
Tobi Reuben Adetunji, holds a Degree and Master Degree in Political Science from the prestigious, Obafemi Awolowo University, ile-ife Osun and University of Lagos Akoka, Lagos State respectively. His research interests revolve around; African Politics and Economy, Climate Change, Artificial Intelligence, Renewable Energy and information Technology.

Latest articles

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here